Harmonica.Cat

A place for new members to introduce themselves and be welcomed into our community.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, T-Bone Bruce, Nathan

Harmonica.Cat

Postby harmonica1cat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi, I have been playing harmonica for about 45 years but have given it my concentration the last year. Love the blues and have been taking lessons from Andy Wilson a very technically sound musician that plays a great harp. My wife said my harp playing has moved up a notch :o

Forming a blues band " Crispy Bacon" Blues with a Flavor :idea: Having a blast but have a long way to go. You Tube video channel harmonica1cat a view of the project in process.

Any pointers on equipment technique etc appreciated.
harmonica1cat

Re: Harmonica.Cat

Postby T-Bone Bruce » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!
What on earth was I thinking when I played THAT?
T-Bone Bruce

Postby harpo1939 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey Ther Cat!! Im 73 yrs young an just learnin ha! Sure wish Ida kept on with my 1st harp @ age 10 Id have a few yrs experience by now ha! Id still be askn questions tho.Ur never to old to learn more. Id like to know if anyone in here knows any good tecnicians close to Nashville,Tn who can modify my Ephiphone Valve Junior /head.I found this mod project and it sounds good but i dont know who to ask to do the Mods?Sure a lotta different ideas also ha! I dont know which one to accept??? Any advice would be much appreciated guys.Heres a url on some Mods that looked interesting...http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/186850-epiphone-valve-junior-mods.html :)
harpo1939

Postby Stephen S » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:56 pm

@harpo1939: Can't help you on Nashville-area techs, but those Epi VJ heads and combos aren't hard to pack & ship to a good tech at a distance. As far as mods for harp go, never mind the Les Paul forum, go to the Lone Wolf home page and look for the Harp Amp Projects sidebar. The Epi VJ mods shown there were developed and refined by Mr. Lone Wolf himself, Randall Landry, and have been successfully used by many harp players. I don't know whether Randy is currently doing amp work, but you might inquire because he's not that far away, or he may be able to refer you to someone in your area.
Stephen S

Postby harpo1939 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Well I've learned quite a lot since I last posted here about playing and building .Now my buddy who claims to be best slide guitar player here in area says he knows all about amps an says I should use a 25 watt 12 inch in my Valve Jr speaker cab? I was informed to use a 8 inch 15 watt H dust cover smoothe cone from a good source and I just checked to see what was inside my CAB. Its looks like 70 Watts RMS and 16 OHMS Eminence. Its also gold color an has ribbed cone and a huge Magnet on the end ? Is this not a good speaker for HARP gritt an growl ha? I'm so lost what to do right. Any suggestions will surely be appreciated
harpo1939

Postby SuperBee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:26 am

hi harpo, you maybe ought to pose your questions on the 'harp amps' board where folks be more likely to see them. but fwiw...there is no one right way and its not such a big deal anyway...personally i havent had too much good times with 12" speakers but others think theyre good...probably depends on the speaker...and the amp its matched with...and the mic and the harp and the way you play it...and what sound you like...
not necessarily in that order.

what you got? is it that eminence lady luck 12"? thats probably ok...i could tell you what i like...but i havent tried too many...i use 8" speakers with my epiphone type amps. the wattage rating wont matter too much, its unlikely you will blow them up with a 5 watt amp...i think a ribbed 12" is probably better than smooth...but it will depend on the speaker...my experience of 12"s is very limited...
SuperBee

Return to Introductions