1959 national twin tone lacks punch

A place for new members to introduce themselves and be welcomed into our community.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, T-Bone Bruce, Nathan

1959 national twin tone lacks punch

Postby harpslinger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I have a '59 national twin tone amp. It has a 5Y3, one 6V6 and one 12AX7. It is a cute little amp with great tone but the volume seems to be very low.
I just purchased a 1955 Supro Spectator with the same 5Y3 and 6V6 but with a 6SL7.
I expected a difference with the 6SL7 but not this much. It is a huge difference compared to the national.
The supro on 2 is louder than the national on 10. (neither one has any numbers really).
It makes me think that something is wrong with the twin tone.
Can someone help me with my anemic amp?
Thanks in advance.
harpslinger

Re: 1959 national twin tone lacks punch

Postby prento » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:22 am

How old are the tubes, especially the 6v6?
prento

Re: 1959 national twin tone lacks punch

Postby harpslinger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am

The 6V6 is old. I swapped it with the one in the supro and it did not make a difference. I am not that experienced but it is line upon line precept upon precept, so thanks to the good folks here and some others I am gaining a little more knowledge all of the time. I was hoping for some of the most common culprits but it is such a small amp that I think I should just clean all contact points and pots, resolder all the old joints, then test for drifted resistors and then finally check that the all capacitors for bleeding. I have never done that before but this is a good opportunity and finally check that all the voltages are correct.
First I have to find out what they should be. Then I will be further down the road and will have learned some things. The wierd thing is, The Supro is a 1954 and it looks like it has never been touched. But it is so loud has such great tone and does not feedback easily. So why is it so pristine. just the right amount of playing and proper storage? I don't get it but I sure am happy with that amp. The thing is I have to sell this one to pay for it and I wont have a satisfied customer if it arrives anemic.
harpslinger

Return to Introductions