Hello from Chicago

A place for new members to introduce themselves and be welcomed into our community.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, T-Bone Bruce, Nathan

Postby ChicagoRay » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Stephen S,
Are these the tubes that you are talking about?
And I put this in the V1 position correct?

NOS JAN GE 12AT7/6201

NOS JAN Philips/Sylvania 12AT7

NOS Mullard CV4024-ECC81-12AT7

ChicagoRay

Postby tickfawriver » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Does not the Mass Atten hook up between the amp and the speaker?

If this is correct the Mass Atten will allow you to overdrive the finals and then lower the loudness of the amp be attenuating the signal to the speaker. You can have plenty of power tube saturation at a lower volume.

The Tone+ can attenuate the mic signal prior to entering the amp in order to counter any excessive preamp gain and also decouple the feedback path between the speaker and the mic input to the amp.

These are two different functions, I have not used a Mass Atten but I have used an L pad to do the same thing and it works great. You can get a lot of distortion without the neighbors calling the police. 8)

Randy
The monster that is feedback lies in your preamp, it is fed by gain and is awakened by coupling between your mic and speaker.
http://www.lonewolfblues.com
tickfawriver
Site Admin

Postby Stephen S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Ray, yeah, I was salivatin' if you don't mind my saying so, even though I already own some of those tubes. 8) IMO, any of those three is better either as an input tube or an inverter than the current-production 12AT7s are. Fender used the GE 6201s a lot in their amps, I believe. Definitely try all three in your input slots where you run ECC81 JJ; if you are also running ECC81 phase inverter, putting a NOS 12AT7 inverter in along with NOS 12AT7 input should maximize the effect. Tell us what you think about the result, & don't worry about agreeing with me, that's not the goal here.

I know it can get dauntingly complex, what Randy's pedals enable us to do, but as he says, attenuating a mic's input signal (without gutting its tone) is different from attenuating an amp's output signal (without gutting its tone), and it's useful to be able to do both.
Stephen S

Postby bushdog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Nice litttle setup there, Ray. I have a Sears Amp that's very similar to your little Silvertone. Someone here can probably line you out on how to install an isolation transformer in it to make it more shock proof. :shock: I've got an outboard transformer that I got cheap on eBay that I plug the amp into. I can also plug two prong plugs into it to address that safety issue also. Anyway--Welcome.

See ya--
Ricky B
bushdog

Postby allende » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 am

CRay
Welcome to the forum--gorgeous gorgeous collection of amps :shock: :shock: In response to your question as to whether you should consider modifying them, why? Other than for reasons of safety (3 prong cords), if they sound good, leave them as is (unless of course there are clear problems to fix). But if you want to start messing with amps, I'd suggest building something based on one you really like, then experiment on that. Just my $.02.
As for the LW effects pedals, I see no one's recommended the Harp Octave yet--I just got one, and no, I don't have the others to compare it to, but I love it--I'd refer you to one of the threads on this forum about it.
Again, welcome, great group of very knowledgeable people here.
Don
allende

Previous

Return to Introductions