Hello From Las Vegas

A place for new members to introduce themselves and be welcomed into our community.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, T-Bone Bruce, Nathan

Hello From Las Vegas

Postby Kevin D. Hagerty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:56 am

Kevin D. Hagerty here. I just found out about this forum this week. I have been playing since 1967, exclusively Marine Bands into almost exclusively Fender tube amps. Currently I am playing a stock EV 630 into a relatively new Fender Excelsior. It is about 12 watts of all tubes into a 15" speaker, with 3 preset tone settings, nasal, kazoo and asthmatic. It is set up for guitarists, so it's a mite heavy on the top end. I was tipped off about a nearly free modification that can be made to this model, requiring only a chunk of Styrofoam and some duct tape. As the amp has 3 horizontal and asymmetrical sound holes in front of the speaker, the middle one is right over the middle of the speaker, where all of the treble gremlins live. If you stuff the Styrofoam across the middle sound hole and duct tape it into place, you eliminate the source of a lot of highs and high mid's. Particularly with this mic, which I favor because it has a lot of harmonic overtones when overloaded, and is also useful as a ball peen hammer as it's virtually indestructible, any modification that emphasizes the lower frequencies and limits the banshees is welcome.
Many years ago, I wrote a book, "Amplified Harmonica Playing Made Possible", which catapulted quickly into obscurity, followed by a newsletter, "Mississippi Saxophone." Through both ventures, I was fortunate to meet and contact quite a lot of fellow harp players. I am looking forward to an updated version of that experience through this forum.
Kevin D. Hagerty

Re: Hello From Las Vegas

Postby Nathan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!
--Nathan Heck
Overlord, Lone Wolf Blues Co.
866-386-0777
customerservice@lonewolfblues.com
Nathan

Postby T-Bone Bruce » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Kevin, and welcome from a fellow Excelsior owner!
What on earth was I thinking when I played THAT?
T-Bone Bruce

Postby bushdog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey Kevin--Welcome aboard. I still have a copy of your book and the newsletters (somewhere around here). Man, that seems like years ago.
See ya--
Ricky B
http://bushdogblues.blogspot.com
River Bottom Blues--a crime novel for blues fans available on Amazon
The Devil's Blues--ditto
Howling Mountain Blues---ditto again
The Oaxacan Kid--ditto some more
bushdog

Postby Kevin D. Hagerty » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Bushdog, it was hell of a long time ago! I am working on a new book, taking off from where the last one was in 1991. Lots of positive developments since then. Keep in touch!
Kevin D. Hagerty

Return to Introductions