Settin' Up A Pedal Board

Topics about effect pedals, any brand, any type.

Moderators: Mark B, Stephen S, arnenym, T-Bone Bruce, Nathan

Settin' Up A Pedal Board

Postby Rick "Coach" » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Forum Guys,
Gonna add a couple of "LW" pedals to my collection & will need a pedal board. I've talked with Randy & got most of the details figured out about powerin' it correctly. Do ya'll suggest a DI Box in line somewhere? If so, what brand & model?
"Coach" OUT
Rick "Coach"

Re: Settin' Up A Pedal Board

Postby T-Bone Bruce » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:59 am

Coach, the only time I use a DI box is when I'm runnning pedals into the PA. If you're running them into an amp then it shouldn't really be necessary. However they can be a really useful tool to have.
Your choices are either an "active" i.e. powered one, or a cheaper "passive" one. I use a cheap ART passive DI box- this one:
http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp ... =13&id=104
I could have gone for an active one, but there's less to go wrong with it. No batteries or phantom power! I don't feel the need for a really expensive one for my level of playing, and I'm using it on stage, not in a studio. They can be had for about $25:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=245-874
What on earth was I thinking when I played THAT?
T-Bone Bruce

Postby Rick "Coach" » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanx "T-Bone",
After more research last nite I concluded as you suggested I only need a "DI Box" for runnin' my pedals thru the PA. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanx again sir!!!

"Coach" OUT
Rick "Coach"

Postby joshnat » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm doing the same thing, and I'm wondering what you all think about putting reverb before Harp Attack or after? The last item is the DI box to go to the PA.
joshnat

Postby arnenym » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 pm

I see the harpattack pedal as a amp and use it after the other pedals and before DI box. 8)
English is not my own language. If i express myself in a weird way. Ask what i mean...
http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthRBB
http://www.brosbrothers.se
arnenym

Postby Rick "Coach" » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Thanx for all your input,
Randy suggessted DI - Octave - Delay - Attack - Tone... @ this time I only have the "HA" goin' into the PA & yhe "HD" next. Randy also told me to do what I felt worked best for me.
I like Arne's set - up!!! I'm thinkin' about adding a "Harp Octave" to the line up for sure & possibly the "Harp Tone".
Please give me feedback on this set - up... DI - Attack - Delay - Octave - Tone.
"Coach" OUT
Rick "Coach"

Postby harpdoc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 pm

I run the Harp Attack first in line, with delay last. I realize this runs counter to the recommended "treat it like an amp--last in line" argument, but to me it sounds better first, as you would do with most overdrive pedals. I think it softens the rough edges of the pedal a little. YMMV
harpdoc

Postby Stephen S » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:41 am

That may be a significant point there, harpdoc: running the HA directly into a SS PA means the single tube stage does not have a typical amp's mellowing effect from additional downstream tube stages, so using the touch of vintage roll-off that the standard LW delay has by putting it after the HA is a resourceful way to mimic multiple tube stages a little better. Seems like, anyway--
:roll:
Stephen S

Postby joshnat » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm

I've been using the Harp Attack into Boss FRV-1 into Behringer GI-100 DI to PA for several rehearsals lately and I'm really happy with the sound. Sounds as good or better than my Fat Dog, with nearly unlimited volume and more feedback resistance. First gig with this setup is Saturday, and I'm thinking of leaving the amp at home, even as a backup. Yikes. But the allure of walking into a venue with harps, a few pedals and a mic is just too good to ignore...
joshnat

Postby seanbinpa » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 am

If I have a Dan Echo, LW Tone+ and LW Harp Attack going into a Ampeg Reverbojet, should the order be" Mic into Tone+ into Dan Echo into Harp Attack into Reverbojet?

Is that ideal? Any thoughts?
seanbinpa

Postby allende » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 am

What seems to work best for me is to put my Harp Octave first in line (usually with just a bit of effect--8 or 8:30)--it also serves to show a proper impedance to my mic; I put my Harp Delay near the end, just before my Sonic Stomp--I just think delay sounds best as the last "effect" in the chain; any other pedals go inbetween.
allende

Return to Effect Pedals